Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Balancing Act...

After I got Karl's outstanding email about blogging, I knew that I was one who was referred to as "ummmm, not quite as outstanding." when it comes to blogging. I have now been back to school for about 6 weeks now and I am just now feeling like I'm getting back into the swing of things...as a teacher this year and a new mom. I'm not really sure what happened the first few weeks of school...I was exhausted trying to balance school work, planning, laundry, Eli, cooking, cleaning, etc. I know that every person with kids has to find a balance with all of these things, but I didn't really understand the full effect until Eli was here! I can't imagine doing this with more than one child!

I have to admit, for the first few weeks of school, I was teaching "the easy way". Instead of planning constructivist activities, I would explain the information to the students by lecturing and assign homework. (I hope that I am not voted out of 21C by admitting this.) Now that I have had time to adjust to all of my new rolls and that I know my students a little better, I am working to come up with more student-initiated activities for class. I am anxious to see how this change effects my classes and if their understanding improves.

No comments: